Federal Hall National Memorial on Wall Street was built in 1842 as the New York Customs House, on the site of the old Federal Hall. It is operated by the National Park Service as a museum commemorating the historic events that happened there. In 1862, Customs moved to 55 Wall Street and the building served as one of six United States Sub-Treasury locations. Millions of dollars of gold and silver were kept in the basement vaults until the Federal Reserve Bank replaced the Sub-Treasury system in 1920. Outside the building is a 1882 bronze statue of George Washington marking the site where he was inaugurated as US President in the former structure.