Formerly Kingsbridge Station and another of Dublin’s four railway termini, Heuston Station was commissioned in 1846 from Sancton Wood, an English architect. Easily the most impressive of Dublin’s stations, Heuston is based on the design of an Italian palazzo. A central block of nine bays is used to mask the train shed designed by Sir John MacNeill. This block has projecting Corinthian columns, balustrades and an attic storey – all decorated with carved swags and urns. To either side of this main block are domed campaniles. To the south is the main entrance block built along the side of the railway shed.
Unfortunately funds ran out before the interior and the rear of the station could be completed. A restoration of the station in the late 1990s created a new entrance for pedestrians through the centre of the main block. The interiors have been remodelled and extended with the station shed extended to meet the rear of the office block with new facilities provided. The Dublin tram system or Luas has a stop outside the main entrance.