1850 – St John’s Church of Ireland, Sandymount, Dublin
Like St Bartholemew’s in Ballsbridge, this was commissioned by Sidney Herbert after whom nearby Sidney Parade is named. The architect here was the biographer of Pugin – Benjamin Ferrey. The exterior is in an early Romanesque style with rubble stone and Bath Stone dressings. The Bath Stone has eroded quite badly in places. The interior is as designed by Ferrey and contains windows by Joshua Clarke.
Originally the exterior was decorated by sculpted beasts, but these were removed on the orders of the Archbishop before the church was consecrated.