Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick
Design for a proposed building at St. Columba’s College, Co. Dublin by Philip Charles Hardwick – to include chapel, hall and cloister. In 1849, St. Columba’s moved from Stackallan House in Co. Meath to its present 150-acre site on the slopes of the mountains in south county Dublin. Many of its buildings date particularly from this period 1850-1880, most notably the Warden’s House, the cloisters, the Argyle building, the Big Schoolroom and the Chapel . This last was designed and built in 1880 by William Butterfield, and is a particularly fine example of his style. Other architects to work on the complex included John McCurdy, J.F. Fuller, and Richard Orpen.