1853 – Former Bank, O’Connell Street, Dublin
Built for Standard Life Assurance, the National Irish branch on O’Connell Street has a striking pediment sculpted by Sir John Steele. The fluted Corinthian columns which uphold the pediment create a strong rhythm of light and shade over the stone façade. It is a shame that the façade at street level takes away so much from the imposing classical façade above. Closed as a bank branch circa 2009.