Architect: Patrick Byrne / W.H. Byrne
Built in 1854 “in the greek style” by Patrick Byrne and later extended by W.H. Byrne who added the portico and pediment. This pediment is inscribed “Mariae Immaculatae Refugio Pecatorum”. It was destroyed by fire in January 1920 but it was rebuilt and reopened by 1922. At this time, the massive copper dome was enlarged making it a landmark in this part of the city.
The interior is dominated by the interior of the dome and is incredibly bright owning to the clear glass favoured for the windows after the fire. Many of the altar fitting survived the Vatican II reforms.