1856 – University Church, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Architect: John Hungerford Pollen

university_church_interior_lge

university_church_exterior_columns_detail_lgeuniversity_church_exterior_lgeuniversity_church_roof_interior_lge0002

A small entrance porch in rich polychromatic brick marks the University Church between two Georgian houses. Supported between the two houses is an usual belfry. The church was commissioned in 1856, by Cardinal Newman from his friend John Hungerford Pollen in the Byzantine style because of Newman’s dislike of Gothic.

The interior is richly decorated with an ornate baldachino over the altar, an arcaded gallery with screens and an elaborate pulpit. The church is lit by small windows set under the roof. The photograph above shows the decoration on the roof of the long passageway that leads into the main church.

Latest News

September 26, 2016: ‘Sustaining the Industrial Heritage” – Annual Maura Shaffrey Memorial Lecture
September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com