Architect: Papworth & Geoghegan
Before the formation of AIB, this was known as the Royal Bank. The exterior is fairly straight forward classicism with a good neo-classical porch added in 1850. It is the interior however that makes this building important – it has the finest banking hall in Dublin.
This was added by Charles Geoghegan in 1859 at the rear of the building. It is a coffered barrel vaulted space top lit and supported by cast iron corinthian columns. A barrier between the banking hall and the street is created by a double height entrance hall. In 2002, this closed as a bank branch and is now owned by Trinity College Dublin.