1860 – AXA Insurance, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: William G. Murray


The former Provincial Bank is built of Limestone ashlar with an elaborate façade at street-level. The ground floor façade has paired polished granite columns with lush foliage capitals. Above this is an architrave and frieze for bank signage. The upper storeys are no less elaborate; the first floor windows are round-headed with fluted keystones with shells. The second floor windows also receive a sculptural treatment. The entire façade is topped of with a Lombardo-Romanesque cornice and fluted brackets. A fine building that stands out from its neighbours.

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com