1860 – Church of the Three Patrons, Rathgar, Dublin
The Church of the Three Patrons, Rathgar Road was built between 1860 and 1862 and was one of the last buildings of Patrick Byrne who built many churches in Dublin. The three patrons referred to are the Patron Saints of Ireland: Saints Patrick, Bridget and Columba. Unfinished, the exterior should have had a portico to relieve some of the austerity. The façade as built was designed by W.H. Byrne in 1891.
The interior is also quite austere, with a massive central space dominated by a giant order of Corinthian pilasters. The apse has an ambulatory, which has tiny curved chapels set into the walls. These were decorated by O’Neill & Byrne.