1862 – Former St. Andrew’s Church, Andrew Street, Dublin

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon



Originally constructed as St Andrews Church of Ireland and built on the site of an earlier church destroyed by fire. After deconsecration, it was converted into commercial space and for many years was used as a Tourism Office. It is currently empty and awaiting new uses. The interior is much changed but still retains the height and airiness of the original nave of the church. The exterior has a fine vaulted arcade with ornate stonework and pinnacles.

From The Building News: “The foundation stone of a new church of St. Andrew, Dublin, was laid on Monday. The cost of the building is estimated at £12,735. Messrs. Lanyon, Lynn, & Lanyon, of Belfast, supplied the plans. The design is in the Gothic style of architecture, and when the building is completed it will hold 1,000 people. It is intended to build at first only a portion of the design — that is, only sufficient to enable divine service to be celebrated. This will cost £7,230. The remainder of the building, including the upper part of the tower, the cloisters, porch, north aisle, external and internal ornamentation, will afterwards be completed, and the committee will require £5,505 for this purpose “

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com