1862 – Iveagh House, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin
Iveagh House is now the Department of Foreign Affairs as it was donated to the Irish State by the Guinness family in 1939. Originally two houses, nos 80/81 St Stephen’s Green, no 80 was originally designed by Richard Cassels in 1736. After both houses were bought by Benjamin Guinness in 1862, he acted as his own architect and produced the current house.
Finished in Portland Stone, the building has a severe appearance. Of nine bays the central three are broken forward and pedimented. The interior of the building is hugely elaborate and decorative with an incredible staircase and ballroom. Both are lined with alabaster and the staircase has ornate victorian ironwork as well as marble columns and circular roof lights.