1862 – St. Olave’s Church, Ramsey, Isle of Man
“Alonq the numerous churches and chapels dotted over the Isle of Man, but very few can lay any claim to architectural beauty or merit; from these few works this week select for illustration tho new chapel just completed near the town of Ramsey. This chapel is dedicated to St. Olave, and has been erected as a chapel of ease to the mother church, Kirk Christ, Lezayre. Hitherto service has been carried on in the upper chamber of a barn, standing close to the site of the new chapel. The present building has been erected at a cost of £1,500, exclusive of the ground, which cost some £200 additional. The greater part of the necessary funds were raised by subscription among the inhabitants of the district, about £1,200 being collected, tho remaining £500 being contributed by the Rev. William Bell, Christian, formerly vicar of the parish. As will bo seen from reference to the ground plan, the chapel comprises nave, north and south aisles, chancel, having an apsidal termination, and a vestry. Sitting accommodation is provided for 430 persons. Tho walling is coursed rubble work of the local stone. The piers, arches, and other dressings, internally and externally, are of red Wliitehaven Stone, which contrasts favourably with the rich dark grey colour of the walling. The roofs are open timber framing, boarded and covered with Welsh slates and the seating is open benches, all of red deal, and left unstained. But the separation of floors are paved in patterns of red and blue Staffordshire tiles; the chancel is laid with encaustic tiles; the windows are filled with green and white quarry glazing, arranged in patterns. The design was furnished by Mr. M.P. Manning, of London.” As published in The Building News.