Architect: Patrick Byrne / Pugin & Ashlin
Originally designed by Patrick Byrne, but he resigned the commission in 1863 (at this stage he was in his eighties). The project was then taken over by the relatively new practice of Pugin & Ashlin.
The church never received its intended spire, the pinnacles on the tower date from 1910 after it was decided to abandon all hope of ever building it. The exterior is of granite with Bath stone dressings, notably in the tympanum above the main door. This was carved by Earley and Powell who also completed much of the interior, notably the altar. They also stencilled the timber roof, but this has since been painted out.