1867 – National Irish Bank, College Green, Dublin
Originally this Bank opened as the Union Bank in 1867 with only four bays on College Green and two on Church Lane. it was designed by William Murray who also designed the Provincial Bank on College Street. After only six months however the Bank collapsed and the building was bought by Hibernian Bank who later employed Thomas Drew to add more bays on each side. Drew was assistant to Murray on the original project. The newer bays are identifiable by the different initials carved above the windows.
The building is designed in Italian Gothic with a curious french chateau-like roof line and corner tower. The interior banking hall with its vaulted ceiling is magnificent and the Bank leaves it up-lit at night so it can be observed from the street.