1869 – Curvilinear Range, Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Co. Dublin
The Curvilinear Range of Glasshouses at the National Botanic Gardens were constructed between 1843 and 1869 and designed by native Dubliner Richard Turner. He was also responsible for designing the Glasshouse at Kew Gardens (England) and Belfast (N. Ireland) but both of these have been ‘restored’ with the use of steel. The Curvilinear Range was restored in 1995 with repairs carried out in the original wrought iron. Internally the houses feel amazingly light and even tho, slim and elegant, much of the structure had decorative elements. The glasshouses were featured on a range of Irish postage stamps based on Irish architecture during the 1980s.