1869 – St. Mary’s Church, Stroud, Kent
From The Architect and Contract Reporter, November 27 1869: The church, dedicated in honour of the Blessed Virgin, is built and partially endowed at the sole expense of Mrs. Griffith, wife of Dr. Griffith, Canon of Rochester. The cost is about 6,000. The material is Kentish rag in range work, with hammer-dressed quoins of the same material, and Bath stone for windows, etc. The interior is faced with Hassock and red and stock bricks. The interior is of a much more ornamental character than the exterior.
The east window (an Early English triplet) is filled with stained glass by Clayton & Bell. A large window in the south transept, also by the same artists, is presented by the contractors, Messrs. Foord, of Rochester, as a memorial to their father, who died since the commencement of the church.
The reredos is of stone, with marble columns, having in the centre panel a group carved in alabaster, representing Our Saviour at the moment of Ilia being known in the breaking of bread to the two disciples at Emmaus. A small panel on each side is filled with mosaic representing a pot of lilies. The roofs and sittings throughout are of pitch pine; the chancel stalls are of wainscot. A brass eagle, by Messrs. Hart & Feard, has been presented by T. H. Day, Esq., of Frindsbury.