1870 – Church of St. Andrew, Plaistow, Essex
Published in The Building News, November 25th 1870. The large stone building, designed by James Brooks, is in an Early English style with an apsidal chancel and large but uncompleted crossing tower.
“This church is constructed of Kentish ragstone and is faced with the same material. It consists of nave and aisles, with chanoel, north chancel aisle, transept on south side of church, a large and imposing tower, 81ft. square externally, and vestry in the south-east comer of the church, comnmunicating with the south transept. The entrances are by a south porch and a deeply recessed and moulded western doorway, divided in the centre with a stone pier, having a canopy figure and pedestal on the exterior. The tympanum of the doorway is of stone, pierced with a quatrefoil light containing painted glass, of which the patron saint is the subject. The termination of the chancel is apsidal, and that portion of it which is beneath tho tower is covercd with groined vaulting in Kentish ragstone, and Bath stone ribs. An arcade is formed in the inside face of the clerestory walls behind the windows, and is continued at tho same level on the west wall, as well also as behind the chancel windows. The tower remains at present at the level of ridge of nave roof, but the intention is to complete it as soon as the funds will permit. The altar and reredos are in this church also placed at great elevation above the nave floor. The reredos is especially rich in effect, and was a special gift to the church. It is of stone, enriched with carving and inlays of tiles, but is most noticeable for the fine figure-subjects, executed by Mr. Nichol, of Lambeth. The font at the west end of the church was also a special gift, and is of bold and massive design in various rich marbles, executed by Messrs. Burke and Co., of Regent-street. The floor of the choir and sanctuary is laid with Miuton’s encaustic tiles, and the whole of the remainder of the church with Staffordshire tiles. It is calculated that the church will accommodate 1,200 persons. The general contractors for the works were Messrs. Perry and Co., of Stratford ; the gas fittings were executed by Messrs. Hart, Son, Heard, and Co., of Wych-street. ”