Published in The Building News, June 10th 1870. Largely completed as designed except for the tower and spire. When it was decided that the parish needed a new church to be built on land donated by the University of Oxford, eleven designs were submitted. The selected design in English Gothic was that prepared by William Knight, a Nottingham architect. Construction started in 1871 but external work was not completed until 1877, with interior decoration continuing after that date.
“THIS design, by Mr. Wm. Knight, artist, of Nottingham, which we illustrate this week, was chosen in accordance with the advice of Mr. Burges, from a number of drawings furnished in competition by twelve architects invited to compete by the committee. The plan is cruciform, consisting of nave, north and south aisles, transept, and chancel, and north and south porches. The roof will be of open timber stained and varnished, and slated on the exterior. The chancel will be formed with curved principal and plaster ceiling. The walls will be faced with Kentish rag stone. The interior will bo plastered. “