1875 – Wykehurst Place, Bolney, Sussex
A large Gothic Revival mansion resembling more the châteaux of the Loire than an English manor house. It was designed in 1871 by architect Edward Middleton Barry for the banker of German extraction, Henry Huth, MP (1815-1878), a bibliophile and collector of paintings. At the time of construction (1871-74) it cost £35,000. The mansion’s exterior, described in 1966 by Nicholas Pevsner as “decaying at the time of writing”, and grounds have appeared in a number of films dating back to the late 1960s including camp horror films.