1876 – Convent of the Sisters of Charity, Ballaghaderreen, Co. Roscommon

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan


Small gothic revival convent by O`Callaghan with the nuns accommodation separated from the chapel by a small two-stage tower and belfry. The school wing illustrated does not seem to have been constructed. The remainder is now disused but intact.

According to The Irish Builder, November 1 1876: “The convent, with chapel, is nearly complete; the schools have not as yet been commenced. The walls are built of the district grit stone; the quoins, dressings, bands, &c., being executed in chiselled local limestone. The roofs are covered with Bangor slates, having bands of greet slates cut to pattern.”

Latest News

October 14, 2016: Irish Architectural Archive’s new publication ‘House and Home’
October 12, 2016: Desmond Guinness Scholarship 2016 open for applications
October 5, 2016: Newbridge House Study Day

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com