1878 – Grocery & Provision Warehouse, Leith, Edinburgh

Architect: James Simpson / William Mercer

0010

Built for the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society over several years. After the initial construction of 1878, it was doubled in length by architect William Mercer of the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society (SCWS) Architectural Department. The Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society was formed in 1868 to supply goods to the retail Co-ops, and later produced goods itself. In Edinburgh and Leith there were two flour mills, a preserves factory, a hosiery factory, and a furniture warehouse, among others. The SCWS was taken over by the Co-operative Wholesale Society in 1973.

Latest News

December 1, 2016: Annual Heritage Angel Awards for Northern Ireland
December 1, 2016: New UAHS book on Young & MacKenzie
November 17, 2016: Winners of the 2016 Wood Awards Ireland are announced


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com