1878 – St. Mary’s Church, Brighton, Sussex
St. Mary’s Church was built over two years and was consecrated on the 15th October, 1878. It is the only ecclesiastical building in England designed by William Emerson as much of his work can be found in India. It resembles All Saints’ Cathedral, Allahabad, also designed in 1877, and completed in 1891.
This original design, illustrated, shows an imposing clock tower, but due to lack of funds this was never constructed. The interior is in a French gothic style and the nave is 40 feet wide and nearly 60 feet high at its highest point. The floor of the nave is considerably lower than the Baptistry and chancel, enhancing the height of the building – the overall effect being quite magnificent. There are many large stained-glass windows attributed to Kempe, Clayton & Bell and others, a beautiful carved reredos, and fine furnishings. Published in The Building News, January 2nd 1880.