Perspective view including ground plan as published in The Building News, April 2nd 1880. The church is Grade II listed by the Department for Culture, Media & Sport as it is a building of special architectural or historic interest. There was a medieval church but little remains. In 1858 money was raised to provide a new chancel in the Early English style designed by Charles Bailey of Newark. As the population of the village increased, more radical changes came. The chancel of 1858 was retained, but the rest of the church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1879 to the designs of Goddard and Paget of Leicester. It is this building which, with slight adjustments, stands in the centre of the village today. Its tall tower crowned with an unusual saddleback roof provides an unmistakable landmark in the area.