Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr
mythumbnail

1880 – St Peter’s Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne

st_peters_rc_lge

st_peters_rc2_lgest_peters_rc2_lgest_peters_rc_doorway_lgest_peters_rc_interior_lgest_peters_rc_interior2_lge

st_peters_rc_interior3_lgest_peters_rc_interior_altar_lgest_peters_rc_interior_apse_lge

The centerpiece of Drogheda north of the Boyne is the tall and graceful French Gothic church by O’Neill & Byrne. Set into the hillside, it is approached up a flight of steps from where its western façade with its rose window and flanking spire can be appreciated.

The church is perhaps over decorated with statues and carvings. Over the main doorway is a tympanum depicting Christ giving the keys of heaven to St Peter. Flanking this are two niches with statues. The tympanums over the other doorways also contain relief carvings. To balance the tower and spire, there is a rectangular baptistry.

The interior is lavishly decorated and contains the head of St Oliver Plunkett. The interior has a wide nave of five bays with a clerestory. The arches have columns of polished granite with folliate capitals. There are carving of the heads of saints and figures from the church over the columns. The short transepts contain side altars, and the west transept is dedicated to St Oliver Plunkett.

Much of the original fittings have survived Vatican II reforms. Worth noting are the pulpit and altars in the polygonal apse.