Architect: Matthews & Mackenzie
Aberdeen’s handsome granite Art Gallery, designed by Alexander Marshall Mackenzie of Matthews & Mackenzie, was opened in 1885. The displays combined industrial exhibitions with exhibitions of art, greatly enhanced by generous gifts, including Aberdeen granite merchant Alexander Macdonald’s private collection in 1900. Twenty years later the building was extended to accommodate the establishment of a plaster cast collection from which art students at the newly established Gray’s School of Art, at that time adjacent to the Art Gallery, could practice drawing. This light and clean central space is used today to exhibit works by leading contemporary artists. Perspective View including ground & 1st floor plans published in The Building News, September 21st 1883.