1883 – Stone Arch Bridge, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Railroad baron James J. Hill built the bridge in 1883 for his Great Northern Railway to allow for increased movement of people and goods across the Mississippi River. The Stone Arch Bridge spans St. Anthony Falls, and served as a working railroad bridge until 1965. The structure is now used as a pedestrian/bicycle bridge.
The one-of-a-kind landmark made of native granite and limestone, measures 2,176 feet by 28 feet, with 23 arches. It is the only stone arch bridge constructed over the Mississippi River. It is an Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 as a part of the Saint Anthony Falls Historic District.