1884 – Great Palm House, Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin, Dublin

botanic_greatpalmhouse_lge

botanic_greatpalmhouse_lgebotanic_greatpalmhouse_lge0512

Costing £800, the Great Palm House, which was made of wood and iron, was prefabricated in the Scottish town of Paisley by James Boyd & Son. It was shipped to Ireland in pieces, then assembled on site: a Victorian flat-pack greenhouse, 65 feet high, 80 feet wide and 100 feet long. In 2004 it reopened to the public after a lengthy restoration which saw it dismantled, conserved and repaired and reassembled.

Latest News

December 1, 2016: Annual Heritage Angel Awards for Northern Ireland
December 1, 2016: New UAHS book on Young & MacKenzie
November 17, 2016: Winners of the 2016 Wood Awards Ireland are announced


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com