Architect: Pugin & Ashlin
The tallest existing spire in Dublin and sited on high ground so as to be visible from the Liffey valley, SS Augustine and John on Thomas Street was designed by Edward Welby Pugin and executed by G.C. Ashlin. Pugin had already worked for the patrons, the Power family who owned the nearby distillery, now NCAD. The original design was exhibited in 1860 at the Royal Academy and it was not until 1884 that the spire was completed.
The exterior is a polychromic and sculptural dream with the narrow spire in French Gothic supported over a huge nave window by two hipped roof abuttments that mask the aisles. There is a vast amount of white Caen sculpture which starts at ground level with a statue of Christ over the main window, with Saint Augustine above and ends with the colossal twelve apostles on pinnacles around the spire. The stonework is red sandstone with limestone and granite dressing and the whole combination provides a powerful effect of a hugely elaborate facade and spire. To the rear of the church are plainer brick buildings to provide ancilary facilities for the parish.