The date stone over the centre window of the top floor of this building reads 1886, making it one of the earlier structures of the area. It was built for the W.J. Mitchell Drug Company as a wholesale distributor, and was designed by Arthur T. Timewall, a British architect and contractor. Contemporary engraving of the original building show some interesting details that have not endured. In a gesture to the Mitchell Drug Company, Timewell placed a mortar and pestle rising from the centre of a broken pediment over the doorway. Stone urns capped the pilasters on either end of the parapet while a scrolled and ornamental carving peaked at the centre.