Selected Design Published in The Building News July 29th 1887. The foundation stone was laid on June 20th, 1887. The Institute building in Bradford Place is of somewhat plain but imposing design, the front and sides being faced with the best patent red bricks, the window dressings, arches, gable copings, ornamental panels, finials, etc, being of best light buff terracotta. The architects, whose designs were selected in competition, were Dunn and Hipkiss, of Birmingham. The total cost, inclusive of furnishings and fittings, was about £6,000. In recent years, the building has served as part of the renamed Walsall College of Arts & Technology, housing the painting and decorating department. Now, this work will move to new premises in Green Lane, and it remains to be seen what the future holds for the original building.