1889 – Customs House, Brisbane, Australia

Architect: John Petrie

0003

In November 1884, the Treasurer issued instructions to prepare plans for a new Customs House that would “combine convenient facilities with a beautiful appearance from Queen Street as well as the river.” The magnificent new Customs House, built by Queensland settler, John Petrie, was opened in August 1889, complete with five Corinthian columns and a dome modeled on St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. The Customs House was later renovated in 1950 prior to its acquisition by the University of Queensland in 1991.

Latest News

December 1, 2016: Annual Heritage Angel Awards for Northern Ireland
December 1, 2016: New UAHS book on Young & MacKenzie
November 17, 2016: Winners of the 2016 Wood Awards Ireland are announced


Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com