1891 – Ulster Bank, College Green, Dublin
One of the most magnificent bank buildings in the city with a pompous over-blown doorway, the customer enters with a sense of impending magnificence. Unfortunately, the banking hall was demolished in 1976 “to improve the working conditions of staff”. Consequently a bland interior now lies behind the Victorian magnificence.
The Irish Builder, of January 15 1891 described it: “With present issue we give a photo lithograph of the exterior of this building, now being carried to completion from the designs of Mr. Thomas Drew RHA, who gained first place in the competition. With our issue of 1st May 1888 we gave a sketch of the entrance doorway from same design. The material employed is granite and limestone, and the work when finished by the contractor Mr S.H. Bolton will form an attractive addition to the many public buildings in College green.”