In 1889, to celebrate the centennial of George Washington’s inauguration as president of the United States, a large plaster and wood Memorial Arch was erected over Fifth Avenue just north of the park. The temporary plaster and wood arch was well received by the populace that in 1892 a permanent marble arch, designed by the New York architect Stanford White was erected. The inscription on the arch reads: Let us raise a standard to which the wise and the honest can repair. The event is in the hand of God. “” Washington. White modeled the arch after the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. In 1918 two statues of George Washington were added to the north side.