In the late 1800s, the federal government realized that they needed to provide their volunteer soldiers with centralized locations for training, and decided to construct the Toronto Armouries. Architect Thomas Fuller was commissioned to design the structure. His building, completed in 1894 (shortly after his death), was a red-brick Romanesque style fortification with towers, turrets, and castellations. The drill hall measured 125′ x 280′, making it the largest armoury in Canada. Demolished 1963.