Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1894 – St. Mary’s Church, Haddington Road, Dublin

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone
Architects: Charles Geoghegan, J.J. O’Callaghan & W.G. Doolin

st_marys_lge

st_marys2_lgest_marys2_lgest_marys2_lgest_marys2_lgest_marys2_lge

st_marys2_lgest_marys2_lge

St Mary’s is the product of the work of several architects. In 1839 the original church on the site was constructed. In 1879, the rounded apse and altar by Charles Geoghegan was added. In 1894, the façade, the round belfry and the aisles were added by J.J. O’Callaghan. The fine tower with its delicate tracery was built in 1894 to the designs of W.G. Doolin. The main door has some good shallow relief carving to either side of the statue.

The interior has some good plaster vaulting and some good memorials – in particular a memorial to parishioners who died during the First World War. There is some stained glass windows by Harry Clarke.

Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Email this to someone

Read previous post:
1900 – Hibernian Hotel, Eastmoreland Place, Dublin

Architect: Albert E. Murray Designed as the nurses' home for Royal City of Dublin Hospital on nearby Baggot Street, this...

Close