1896 – St Mary’s Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winnipeg is the only city in North America with two Roman Catholic Cathedrals due to the amalgamation of the city with St Boniface in 1972. This cathedral which is quite small in comparison to cathedrals in Europe, and smaller than many parish churches, was originally built in 1880 to the designs of Balston C. Kenway.
In 1896, it was further developed, with the addition of a new facade by Samuel Hooper, into what we see today. The building features elements of Romanesque revival with a curiously Germanic tower and spire. The interior decorative scheme is largely unremarkable, despite the interior space.