Architect: James P. Alison
“This house is situated about three miles above the town, on the right bank of the River Stirling. The house, which stands considerably above the river, and commands fine views both up and down the valley, is built of whinstone, rough-cast on the exterior, with redstone dressings to the windows, doors, gables, etc, while the roofs are covered with green slates. In accordance with the hilly nature of the site, the kitchen and offices are placed in the basement, with entrance on the north side, while the main floor (of which a plan is annexed), enters from the more level ground to the south. The upper floors are devoted entirely to bedroom accommodation : besides the usual fireplaces, the house is heated throughout with radiators. A lodge has also been erected at the entrance to the grounds, together with stabling and coachhouses, and a bridge over the river. The architect is Mr. James P. Alison, of Hawick.” Perspective view with plans as published in The Building News, January 28th 1898.