“The walls are of brick, the lower portions and chimneys being faced with Edwards’s red Ruabon, 6in. by 23in., having thick white mortar weathered joints, and the upper portions finished in cement pebble-dashing, whitewashed. The roofs are covered with Edwards’s brown roofing tiles. The external woodwork is painted a light purply-grey. The houses have been built by Messrs. Beckett and Co., of Hartford, under the superintendence of the architect, Mr. Jonathan Simpson, of Bolton.” As published in The Building News, July 21, 1899.