Architect: Niven & Wigglesworth
Built in 1901 as the headquarters of the British & Foreign Sailors’ Society. An inscription above the door still records the fact, although the building itself has been converted into flats. External decoration reflects the nautical nature of the Society: a woman, preseumably Britannia, holds two ships, while cherubs blow wind into their sails; the names of the continents are carved below her, framed in loops of rope, while the Latin names for the North, South, East and West winds are embossed above. Published in The Building News, July 12th 1901.