1904 – Eaton’s Department Store, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John Woodman



For years the focal point of downtown Winnipeg, the former Eatons Department Store has been demolished to make way for a much criticised entertainment complex. Fortunately the linked Eaton Place building has been spared. The photographs here were taken in December 2002 as demolition was underway. Originally the building was eight storeys in height with an elaborate cornice.

Some of the fine details of the now ruined shopfront can be seen, including the decoration carving and the fine bronze window frames. Like many other buildings of the period Eatons was built around a steel structure with a brick facade added as cladding. Two materials, red brick and Bedford stone were used with simplicity; in modular fashion expressing the steel frame structure behind. Forty-two large plate glass show windows, one bay width each lined the ground floor.

Latest News

September 26, 2016: ‘Sustaining the Industrial Heritage” – Annual Maura Shaffrey Memorial Lecture
September 22, 2016: Open House Cork looking for volunteers
September 21, 2016: ‘Building Ireland’ return to RTE, September 30

Email Newsletter

Signup to receive email updates of new additions to Archiseek.com