Home to the largest French speaking population outside of Quebec in Canada, St Boniface was formally amalgamated with Winnipeg in 1972. The town was established in 1818 by Fr. Joseph-Norbert Provencher. This took some time to thrive, but it eventually did, and had its own City Hall, University and Cathedral. The former City Hall or Hotel de Ville was designed by Victor W. Horwood and is a fine although small building with an imposing clock tower.