1906 – City Place, Winnipeg, Manitoba
A massive warehouse building now used as offices and shopping facilities, Eaton Place was linked to the rear of the Eaton’s Department Store by skywalk. It housed T. Eaton & Co.’s mail order operations in Winnipeg for many years. It now stands alone, forlorn and magnificent. The sheer scale of the building and the overwhelming repetition of its design cannot be appreciated by photograph. The huge cornice capping the building is very elaborate and provides a contrast with the modular facade below. Long may it stand.