1907 – Former Bank of Toronto, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Montreal architect H.C. Stone was hired to plan the structure in collaboration with his Winnipeg associate L. Bristow. Built at a cost of over $200,000, local contractors Kelly Brothers and Mitchell erected the structural steel frame building over a concrete foundation. The banking hall interior, rising 15 feet, featured paneled walls and columns of polished white Italian marble bathed in natural light from a light well in the center of the building. Coffered ceilings, columned spaces and marble counters provided the atmosphere of a Roman temple. Offices, finished in oak, on the upper floors could be reached by an elevator or by a marble-treaded staircase.