The original Customs House in Winnipeg was constructed in 1874 at 198 Main Street. It was decided in 1907 that a larger facility was needed and the proximity of the location to downtown business district weighed heavily in its selection. A “Call for Tender” was issued for the construction of the design by the architectural staff in the Department of Public Works, under the supervision of David Ewart, Chief Architect. The construction tender of $270,000 was awarded to McDiarmid Co. Ltd. The Federal government has always occupied the building and it continues to do so today. The current interior of the building is very similar to the original drawings.