Architect: C.J. McCarthy
This palatial building in red brick and Mountcharles Sandstone was designed by the City Architect Charles J. McCarthy and was built between 1909-12. McCarthy was the son of leading Victorian gothic architect J.J. McCarthy (1817-82) who was responsible for many churches in Dublin and several Roman-catholic Cathedrals around Ireland.
Originally part of the building was an hotel and this was redeveloped by the City Corporation (now the City Council) into a college of technology. Much extended in recent years, there are two major additions, an extension along Kings Inns Street from the 1960s and a later extension by Gilroy McMahon to the rear of the building shown.