Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1912 – Scherzer Bridges, North Wall Quay, Dublin



Built to allow water based traffic to access the Royal Canal and Spencer Docks, these unusual bridges are also designed to keep seawater out of the docks. No longer operational due to the removal of their diesel engines and their roadway surfaces, they could stop traffic, allow a ship through and close again in four and a half minutes. Now they serve as a reminder of the industrial past of the area.

Read previous post:
1884 – Former London and North Western Hotel, North Wall Quay, Dublin

In 1861 the London and North Western Railway Company which had been operating a steam packet service across the Irish...