Architects: Pratt & Ross / Charles S. Frost
The Winnipeg Electric Railway Co., a firm which operated the city’s electric streetcar system and its first hydro-electric utility, constructed this steel-frame and concrete building. It is one of the finest buildings to be erected in the District in the Chicago School style as influenced by architect Louis Sullivan. The Italian Renaissance facades are of polished granite on the lower two floors with typical Sullivanesque terracotta detailing, including lion statuary on the upper floors. The Winnipeg Electric Railway Co. was taken over by the Government of Manitoba in 1953.
The entrance hallway and lift lobby is elaborately decorated with marble (and one very worried looking lion) and a fine painted beam ceiling. The interior of the Manitoba Heritage public office is similarly decorated with fine columns and painted detail.