1913 – Pantages Playhouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Designed by B. Marcus Priteca of Seattle, the Pantages Playhouse was the first reinforced concrete playhouse in North America. The words “Pantages Unequalled Vaudeville” are inscribed above the entrance and the circuit was begun by Alexander Pantages, a wealthy American businessman who made his fortune in the Klondike. He built seventeen theatres across North America. It has had a checkered history becoming city property in a 1930’s tax sale. The interior, although its colours have changed, is much as it was in 1914.