1915 – Vocational Education College, Bull Alley, Dublin
The most dominant building on Bull Alley is the Vocational Education College (VEC) designed in a Flemish Renaissance style by L.A. McDonnell. Easily the best site in the Iveagh Trust scheme, its faces across the park to the Cathedral, the park itself was created by Lord Iveagh by removing existing slums which where built up to the side of the Cathedral. The building has fine stone carving and decoration and was recently restored and cleaned.
A limited competition was held to find the architect of the building. Out of the four shortlisted architectural practices, the design of McDonnell and Reid was chosen. The other entrants included Kaye-Parry & Ross, and Batchelor & Hicks. McDonnell & Reid’s building was completed and opened by May 1915 at a cost of £35,000.